The Aloe trail comprises two trails: one of 2 km, marked with yellow arrows, and a longer one of 7 km (3 hours), marked with red arrows. Both start at a gate at the top of Tippers Creek Road, between Amsterdamhoek and Bluewater Bay. The trail takes a circular route via the escarpment overlooking Amsterdamhoek, returning through valley bushveld on the plateau. Amsterdamhoek is named after a Dutch man-of–war, the Amsterdam, which ran aground near the mouth of the Swartkops River on 16 December 1817. The walks are suitable for reasonably fit persons, who are advised to walk in a group, wear stout shoes and take a sunhat and drinking water. NO DOGS are allowed.